October 20, 2012

To serve and to give his life

Jesus said to the Twelve, “Rather, whoever wishes to be great among you will be your servant; whoever wishes to be first among you will be the slave of all. For the Son of Man did not come to be served but to serve and to give his life as a ransom for many." Mark 10:44,45         

Reflection

As I left the supermarket last week, a man approached me in the parking lot with the words, “Get me a hot dog? Something for lunch?”  I smiled and walked past – into my nice car and onward to my comfy home where I had plenty of food and lots of comfort.  I share this as a confession.  After four days I am still haunted by my selfish response and my refusal to put into action the words of my Leader, “to serve and to give your life.”

I didn’t give my life, or my time, or my food, or my attention.  I forgot the words of the Word.

Servant leadership is really hard because it surprises you and comes in the form of simple encounters with the poor Christ.  The problem is … we don’t recognize the poor Christ in those we meet during our day.  But that is where He resides and meets us.  May we take to heart the words of Jesus as He instructs his first Apostles:  whoever wishes to be great will be a servant.  Lord, help me to take on the life of a servant, no matter the cost.

No comments: