December 08, 2012

A voice of one

As it is written in the book of the words of the prophet Isaiah:  A voice of one crying out in the desert:
"Prepare the way of the Lord, make straight his paths …” (Luke 3:5,6)

Reflection

Growing up in a large family (as you can see by a look at my Facebook wallpaper), I have sometimes felt like my voice got lost in the crowd.  I was passed the potatoes, not because I asked for them, but because I just happened to be next in line.  If I had a favorite TV to watch, I got to see it in large part because it was the favorite of everyone else.   

Sometimes you might feel like your voice is rather puny and your pronouncements don’t matter much.In today’s Gospel, we hear the one single voice of one obscure desert Jew:  John the Baptizer.  He had funny clothes, food, and an even funnier job.  He likely thought no one would listen.  But it didn’t matter.  Even though he was “the voice of one,” his message was heard by one, then another, and on and on.Eventually the Baptist’s cry was heard my trillions, but it started with just one sound.   

You too have a particular sound – an opinion or a bit of Good news to share.  Don’t be shy.  Advent is a time to send Christmas cards, sometimes by way of speech and a nice word to someone in need.  Let your voice join John’s this season, so as to prepare the way of the other “One” who is to come.

No comments: