December 30, 2020

They saw the Child

The Epiphany of the Lord

“They were overjoyed at seeing the star, and on entering the house they saw the child with Mary his mother.” (Matthew 2:10,11)

Reflection

One of my hobbies is astronomy.  It started in the winter of 1976, when I was a senior in education at Miami.  Early mornings, I had to stand outside in the cold Oxford morning waiting for my ride to Cincinnati.  And looking up, I was amazed by Orion, Taurus, and the Pleiades.  I wanted to know them and their stories.  I was overjoyed at seeing stars.  Since then I have studied and watched the heavens, but not only scientifically.   

Also during my senior year in college, my faith started to grow and my knowledge and love for Jesus Christ deepened.  I was amazed at seeing His light in myself and others, thanks to my Newman friends.  Since then I have studied and watched toward Heaven, with a desire to follow the Star, enter His house, and see the Child.  I have had many epiphanies in my 66 years, and I hope for more as I journey toward the Light.

Next door to my community here in Chicago is the Church of the Holy Family.  Its stained glass windows tell the story of the Society of Jesus in color and light.  One of the most attractive of the windows is that of the Epiphany, when the wise men followed the star and offered gifts to the Child.  I used this picture as my Christmas card this season with the prayer below as my wish for 2021:

“Almighty ever-living God, splendor of faithful souls, graciously be pleased to fill the world
              with your glory, and show yourself to all peoples by the radiance of your light.” 

May the radiant light of this new Child be shown to you in some way this coming year, and may you share it with others in whatever hobby and talent you so desire.    Happy New Year!

 


1 comment:

Jeanne Fairbanks said...

“Splendor of faithful souls”. That is beautiful.
Thanks for reminding me that sharing my gifts and talents even if they be a hobby is spreading His light in the world.